It was fought in waters near the Philippine island of Leyte, from 23 October to 26 October 1944, between naval and naval-air forces of the Allies and those of the Empire of Japan. On October 20, United States troops invaded the island of Leyte as part of a strategy aimed at isolating Japan from the countries it had occupied in South East Asia, and in particular depriving its forces and industry of vital oil supplies. The Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) mobilized nearly all of its remaining major naval vessels in an attempt to defeat the Allied invasion, but was repulsed by the US Navy's 3rd and 7th Fleets. The IJN failed to achieve its objective, suffered very heavy losses, and never afterwards sailed to battle in comparable force. The majority of its surviving heavy ships, deprived of fuel, remained in their bases for the rest of the Pacific War.
The Battle of Leyte Gulf included four major naval battles: the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea, the Battle of Surigao Strait, the Battle of Cape EngaƱo and the Battle off Samar, as well as other actions.

This all happened sixty four years ago. But, even though it happened sixty four years ago, this all happened so that you and I may be in the comfort of our home's today without fear. This all happened forty nine years to the day of which I was born, October 26th. This all happened when my great Granpa was in the Coast Guard and was told that was where he was going. He then was right in the middle of the said by most"greatest" sea battle in history. To me, it was the worst sea battle in history! It was also the worst sea battle in his story (Grandpa). He did it for me, he did for his wife, for his two sons, for my family and for yours! And because of God's Mercy and Grace he is still here with us!This is my Grandpa, Buddy, and Little Man out getting pears from his back yard.
Granpa and his lady friend having lunch with us.

Father,
Thank you for the freedom that you have given us!
Thank you for allowing Grandpa to help preserve that freedom and then, you brought him back to us!
Thank you for our family and the strength that you have given to Grandpa to keep going even at ninety two!

3 comments:
Hey Darlin'
I am so glad everyone has started posting again! I can't do anything with my MyBook/Faceplace thing. I can't even remember how to say it. Anyway, I am so glad to know the name of this battle. I have listened to GP tell this story several times. This is the battle that he tells about watching a Japanese plane drop a torpedo and it came straight at his ship. He thought surely it was going to hit the ship and kill everyone. GP will always say, "I thought to myself, I'll never see Jeanette and the boys again." But God had other plans! The torpedo hit a wave and was diverted! Half-way on the other side of the earth and in the midst of the smoke, bombs, guns, fire, noise and almost certain death, your Great Grandpa's thoughts were about his wife and sons. Truly a testament to the man he is and a testament of what is truly important in life. Family. And I thank Jesus that you are in mine!
Love you bunches and bunches
Aunt Jenny
It awesome to tell people those stories! I told the lady that cuts my hair the one about the the torpedo and she got goose bumps!
Thanks for such a great aunt!
I am so happy that you posted this historical event. Many people like to forget hard times, and thus forget the price that was paid for freedom, or for a new home in a new land...I think remembering is exactly what we need to do. It keeps us grounded.
It IS amazing that the battle ended on the date of your birthday. God had more plans for Gram-pa, didn't He?
I love you dearly,
Mama
Post a Comment